Career Opportunity Posts
- I know someone that would be perfect for a position - can I send the posting to them for review?
Yes, we encourage you to refer friends and family for positions that are currently available. At the bottom of each posting, there's a button to "Send to a friend". Complete the online form and the person you've entered will receive a personalized link to the posting.
- I noticed that a position was posted several months ago, but it continues to appear on your website. Is it still open?
All positions listed on our website are open. Postings without a closing date generally represent an ongoing need. Other positions may remain open because the specialized skills required are rare.
- How long do positions appear on the website?
All positions are posted for a minimum of five (5)?days. Some positions that are hard to fill or that require many candidates will stay open for longer. Be sure to watch the Closing Date and submit your application before midnight on the date of closing to ensure that your application?is considered.
- I am not interested in any of your current job opportunities. Can I still submit my resume for future consideration?
We do not currently accept general applications. Please apply to specific positions posted in our Career Opportunities section.
- How long do you keep resumes on file?
Resumes are kept in our database for a year.
- Is there a preferred internet browser to use when applying for jobs?
Yes, please use Internet Explorer. Users routinely experience problems when using Chrome, and Safari.
Resumes & Cover Letters
- I do not have a cover letter or resume in the required format - can I still apply?
You must submit a resume and cover letter in either .doc, .txt or .rtf format to ensure we can open them.
- Do I need to use a different resume and cover letter for each job I apply for?
You do not need a separate resume, but we do recommend that you submit a separate cover letter for each position you apply for. We recommend that the name of your attachment includes the competition number you are applying for. Our system will store a copy of your resume so that you can apply for multiple positions without having to upload your documentation multiple times.
Once you've submitted your application
- What happens after I submit my application?
After the competition closes, your application is forwarded to the appropriate Selection Committee for review. If you are shortlisted, a representative will contact you, generally within one (1)?to three (3)?weeks.
- Can I contact someone in the hiring department to find out more about the position?
Because of the large volume of applications we receive, we ask that you wait until you hear from us in the event that your application has been shortlisted. You will have an opportunity to ask questions at that time.
- Despite having all of the minimum qualifications, I have not been contacted for an interview. Why?
Unfortunately, only the best candidates will be shortlisted by the selection committee and contacted for an interview. Due to the volume of positions available at any one time, it may take between one (1)?and three (3) weeks before the selection committee can set up applicant interviews.
- If I'm called in for an interview, where do I go?
When you are contacted for an interview, you will be given all of the details, including location, time and where to park.
- What style of interviewing does NAIT use?
For most positions, we use panel-style behaviour descriptive interviews, whereby candidates are formally interviewed by several people. Some positions do require formal and informal interviews.
- Does NAIT use screening tools?
Depending on the position, different screening tools may be used from hands-on (i.e., welding), to theoretical (i.e., describing electrical theories) to typing and arithmetic. We also frequently use a trait-profiling tool in addition to the interview to help us make our selection.